Monday, October 09, 2006

MY FIRST GATOR GAME

#5 Florida 28, Alabama 13

Although I was asleep for most of it, I’ll always remember September 30, 2006 as the day I sort-of-watched my first Gator football game (if not, I’m sure daddy will remind me.) Mommy and daddy’s friends “Grampy” Mark and “Grammy” Jan stopped by for the game, and although they’re not Gators, I have no complaints about them. For one thing, they brought me presents…call me shallow, but the fact is it really is all about me! Also, Grammy Jan was the one who cut my umbilical cord (daddy wussed out.) For that I will always love her…and also wonder why there wasn’t someone more qualified to do that job in the delivery room at the time!


I got passed around a lot while the game was on, which was nice even though it made me sleepy…damn those cozy arms! Daddy told me that the Gators were 4-0 and ranked fifth in the country coming into the game, and although Alabama was unranked, they’d somehow been able to beat us last year in Tuscaloosa (up until that day, I didn’t know the Gators could lose!) The game didn’t start out too well; we were losing 10-7 at halftime…or so I’m told, as I was, again, napping…and early in the fourth quarter we were only winning by one point. Clearly, my team needed me!


Daddy took me into his arms for the first time during the game, and immediately Chris Leak threw a 21 yard TD pass to Dallas Baker. As an aside, Dallas’ nickname is “The Touchdown Maker”; coincidentally, my nickname is the “Poop Maker, Heart Breaker.” Anyway, I got passed around again, but when it was daddy’s turn to hold me again, Reggie Nelson picked off a pass and ran it back 70 yards for another touchdown! Sadly, neither Baker nor Nelson has sent me a “thank-you” card, much less a scholarship offer!

It seemed I had become daddy’s good luck charm, and he vowed that he would never watch another Gator game without me by his side. I’m ok with this…as long as people keep showing up with presents!

No comments: